Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Traffic traffic traffic

Yes, a very real part of life in Nairobi is fighting traffic. It can get hugely annoying.

The other evening we decided to go as a family to dinner at a restaurant about five miles away. It took us about 45 minutes. Heather was at the straw-that-breaks-the-camel's-back point. She spends far more time in traffic than I do, and that traffic jam was the last straw. Two frequent journeys are ferrying Rachel and two classmates to pre-school and driving to Orchestra rehearsals. (I walk to work and am thus very blessed.)

So anyhow, back to this photo. If you look at the center, there's a salesman. He sells hand-made leather purses while walking between the lanes of the very slow-moving traffic. There are certain zones where sales-people sell specific things. Fruit is in one area, hand-made wire art is in another.

4 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

Traffic is a common problem in Boston, as well. Luckily, I can usually take the train to work...And, people here sell the Boston Herald in the street in the morning...I would LOVE to see the wire art that is sold in Nairobi.

janiners said...

that's just incredible. I can't say I know traffic that bad on as frequent a basis. I can understand Heather's frustration, though. I get very impatient when it's slow around here, but I surely couldn't handle it everyday. aaaaahhhhh!

also interesting about the selling and the different areas. i, like the lone beader, would love to see the hand-made wire art.

paulmerrill said...

I'll post a few pix of the hand-made wire art in about three weeks. (That's when I'll have access to Photoshop again. You'll notice the poor quality of the cheeseballs container pic - that was image reduction done without Photoshop. Sigh.)

Thanks for your interest!

Dominique said...

Hey, I used to see those sales guys working traffic in New York, especially at the corner of Pacific and Atlantic in Brooklyn. They pop up occasionally in Chicago, though not as much. I miss that about New York... not the traffic, but the spontaneous marketing EVERYWHERE. Oh, and I hate traffic.

Where you can find Paul Merrill

If you are looking for Paul Merrill, go over to  Shiny Bits of Life , which is my personal blog - or  Greener Grass Media . Thanks! (I no ...