Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The flour-bag shirt

One of the things Heather has done to help Kenyans is working with a ministry called "Beacon of Hope". Their focus is helping people "infected or affected by AIDS". AIDS-awareness is a large area of education, as well as teaching many how to provide for themselves through a useful skill. Tailoring (sewing) is one.

As a cost-saving measure, people are taught to sew using heavy paper, rather than cloth. Thus the flour-bag shirt.

We visited the training center this week with our visiting friends.

4 comments:

janiners said...

that's pretty awesome and very resourceful! honestly, I could see it easily becoming the latest fashion here in America, minus the actual paper, maybe.

Jenny said...

That is great!

I like to buy cards made by some women in Kibera. The cards are made from recycled materials, and the money goes to aids victims in the slum.
I think their web site is www.kiberapaper.com

paulmerrill said...

I love the stuff from Kibera Paper too! I bought 3 cards at a bazaar and can't bring myself to give them away. I plan to frame them after we return to the States. We're semi-planning to send some out as Christmas cards this year.

And yes, you never know, maybe paper shirts will become all the rage!

Jenny said...

I have framed quite a few of the cards and have them around our house, plus have given them away as gifts. They look really good framed.

Where you can find Paul Merrill

If you are looking for Paul Merrill, go over to  Shiny Bits of Life , which is my personal blog - or  Greener Grass Media . Thanks! (I no ...