Monday, March 13, 2006

Remnants of a colonial past

Last week I went down to a rural area near the Tanzania border. An American friend is doing a drip-farming project with a Maasai friend. We're hoping to change the paradigm of cow herding to farming. There is not enough water to support cattle. Most herds are skinny and dying. There are some plants which require little water and can yield enough food to make it worth the investment of planting and harvesting.

So on the way in to Dickson's farm, we pass this bridge that has been unused for at least 20 or 30 years. It was built maybe 60-80 years ago. The road deteriorated long before the bridge. I'm sure there are a bunch of analogies to life there, but at the moment they escape me.

No comments:

Where you can find Paul Merrill

If you are looking for Paul Merrill, go over to  Shiny Bits of Life , which is my personal blog - or  Greener Grass Media . Thanks! (I no ...