Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Right down to the signature

Did you know that the culture and school system you came from had an influence on your signature?

This signature was on a random business letter I received. To an American, this signature is very unusual. To a Kenyan, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I had a discussion with a Kenyan friend about this. He theorized that people are taught to sign this way for security reasons - he said it's believed this sort of signature is harder to fake than a legible one. He then admitted that it's probably easier to fake, ironically. I dunno. Try forging Samson's.

2 comments:

janiners said...

that's pretty interesting. i've been complimented many times on my handwriting and I am pretty adamant when it comes to making my signature legible. i guess i like my name, so I want people to be able to read it. i wouldn't even think about someone trying to forge it.

Doug said...

Dunno, Paul, not sure you should be encouraging forgery on your blog. :-P

Where you can find Paul Merrill

If you are looking for Paul Merrill, go over to  Shiny Bits of Life , which is my personal blog - or  Greener Grass Media . Thanks! (I no ...