Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The good and the bad

As you have noticed, advertising is one of my interests.

As I drove through town the other day, I came across these two billboards.

Coke has a new campaign, and I really like it. I'm not sure if this bright-flowery campaign has made it to other countries. (This billboard is customized for Nairobi.)

Technology Associates - lower left- is a bit misguided with their billboard. The type is so small that you'd have to be about ten feet away to read the fine print.

Yes, it's true, Coca-Cola has a little more money to spend on their advertising than Technology Associates does. If you live here, that's obvious - the new campaign is all over Nairobi.

2 comments:

Heather Jamison said...

The Coke ads have made it to Kitale, too. And the same style was in two of the countries we visited this past month. So I think it's at least "African" - maybe it's in the States, too. Won't know that for another 2 weeks. I like it, too. It's a bit 60ish but it is permeated with things like smiles & peace so 60s or not - Cool.

Marti said...

Hi Paul - and Heather in Kitale if you make it back to this page. This weekend NPR did a story about how popular country music is in Kenya. I had no idea Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton were such a hit there... 'more than any other kind of music, country music tells a story, and where would this be more popular than in an oral culture?' See http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9450072

Where you can find Paul Merrill

If you are looking for Paul Merrill, go over to  Shiny Bits of Life , which is my personal blog - or  Greener Grass Media . Thanks! (I no ...